Marriage is love.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Just For The Record...

.... by hilzoy

"I do not have a "Virulent Passion for Terri's Death". I am not "in a rush to kill" her. I am not "In Love With Death". I do not "want Terri killed" because "she’s an overgrown fetus that outlived her welcome." I do not "want her to die" at all, for any reason. I believe that she, like every other adult, has the right to refuse medical treatment. That's a completely different story.

I do not believe that Terri Schiavo's life is worth less than anyone else's, that "Terri Schiavo's life is of limited quality -- therefore, Terri Schiavo is not worth saving", or (worse still) that "She is worthy of death unless she or her agents prove that her life is worth sustaining." I certainly do not think that we "can sentence Terry Schiavo to death, because she is too severely handicapped to live." I do not believe that this has anything to do with the worth of her life. I do not think that there are some people who are so valuable that when they are ill, we should treat them against their wishes, but that Terri Schiavo is not among them. I believe that every adult, including Terri Schiavo, has the right to decide for him- or herself whether to accept or refuse medical treatment.

I do not describe those who argue that Terri Schiavo should be kept alive as wanting the government to be able to order us to undergo surgery against our wills whenever a large enough group of protesters demands it. I know that, with the possible exception of Randall Terry, that is not what motivates them. I wish they would do me the same courtesy."



|