Marriage is love.

Friday, April 08, 2005

"W" Stands for What in the HELL Did He Say?!?

Fresh Dubya
(The 15 most recent Dubya declarations)

We're talking about a part of the world in which, uhh, you know, our foreign policy was, let's just hope for the best and tolerate the fact there's no free societies. And -- what ended up happening was, there was a -- tyrants have emerged, tyrants that threatened our security. And so not only was the action worth it, the action is worth it to make sure that democracy exists, and, uhh, because democracies will yield peace, and that's what we want.
-- Dubya making the case (?) for the invasion of Iraq, Washington, D.C., Apr. 4, 2005

Government should be an advocate of faith-based and community-based programs, not an impedent to faith-based programs. Government ought to be not a road block.
-- We have a nonexistent word coupled with some confused grammar, Washington, D.C., Apr. 1, 2005

Vinnie Thomas left home when he was 16, ended up in California struggling with drugs. And guess where he ended up? In prison. He was there for three-and-a-half years. And while he was there, a mentor -- I think he said two mentors, but one sticks out in my mind in particular as a mentor. That was a business person, came and mentored Vinnie and gave him an airplane ticket to fly back home, said if you need a problem, here's a house, here's a bed.
-- That can't be what he meant to say, Washington, D.C., Apr. 1, 2005

1983, uh, Tip O'Neill, Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole said, we've got a problem, let's, stret, see if we can't fix it. And they put together a 75-year fix, they said. First of all, I appreciate the spirit of Republicans and Democrats comin' together. But it wasn't a 70-yah, 5-year fix. This was 1953. We're only in 2005.
-- Dubya speaks of shortsighted government fixes, while doing a sterling job of messing up the point his argument, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Mar. 30, 2005

I was impressed by the people of Iraq, who, in the face of car bombings and suiciders, said, we're going to defy these folks because we want to be free.
-- Dubya does it again, tossing out one of his favorite made-up words, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Mar. 30, 2005

I don't think there's a Democrat idea, I don't think it's a Republican idea, I think these are just ideas that need to be on the table. I think I'm the first President ever to have stood up and said, bring all your ideas forward.
-- Delusions of grandeur, anyone? Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Mar. 30, 2005

I want to wish all the fellow citizens and their families a happy Easter.
-- Adding "families" seems problematic in this instance, since it makes it seem as if the families aren't citizens themselves, Fort Hood, Texas, Mar. 27, 2005

The math has changed. The math has changed this way. Baby boomers like me are getting ready to retire, and there's a lot of us. I turn 62 in 2008 -- it's a convenient date for me to retire.
-- Dubya's math seems to indicate he will retire before the end of his term in 2009, Tucson, Arizona, Mar. 21, 2005

DAVID GREGORY: Do you feel that this is a point in the debate where it's incumbent upon you, and nobody else, to lay out a plan to the American people for how you actually keep Social Security solvent for the long-term?
DUBYA: First of all, Dave, let me, if I might correct you, be so bold as to correct you, I have not laid out a plan yet, intentionally.
-- Unless, of course you count the section linked on the White House website under the title "The President's Plan" (
screen shot), White House, Mar. 16, 2005

I'm lookin' forward to meeting these uhh -- very brave souls. They've, uhh, committed themselves to a peaceful solution, and hopefully, their loved one'd will not have died in vain. I mean, out of this -- hopefully, some good will come out of the evil perpetuated on this family.
-- Making it sound as if the evil perpetrated on the family is ongoing, Washington, D.C., Mar. 16, 2005

I like the idea of people running for office. There's a positive effect when you run for office. Maybe some will run for office and say, vote for me, I look forward to blowing up America. I don't know, I don't know if that will be their platform or not. But it's -- I don't think so. I think people who generally run for office say, vote for me, I'm looking forward to fixing your potholes, or making sure you got bread on the table.
-- We have a real mixed bag here, as he brings us his favorite local political issue (potholes) in extolling the virtues of representative government, and tosses in a mention of blowing up America while he's at it, Washington, D.C., Mar. 16, 2005

I repeat, personal accounts do not permanently fix the solution. They make the solution more attractive for the individual worker. And that's important for people for understand, John, and that's why it's very important for Congress to discuss this issue.
-- I'm glad he's willing to admit they don't fix the solution, Washington, D.C., Mar. 16, 2005

REPORTER: Mr. President, can you explain why you've approved of and expanded the practice of what's called rendition, of transferring individuals out of U.S. custody to countries where human rights groups and your own State Department say torture is common for people under custody?
DUBYA: The post-9/11 world, the United States must make sure we protect our people and our friends from attack. That was the charge we have been given. And one way to do so is to arrest people and send them back to their country of origin with the promise that they won't be tortured. That's the promise we receive. This country does not believe in torture. We do believe in protecting ourselves. We don't believe in torture.
-- Dubya denies the existence of a torture-driven intelligence windfall resulting from rendition, without providing an alternate explanation for the policy. Hmmm... Washington, D.C., Mar. 16, 2005

That's how interest works. It compounds. It grows. Now, people say, what does that mean, a personal savings account? Can I take the money and go right down to the road where I was staying in this part of the world and put it in the slots?
-- Dubya manages to slip in another mention of "this part of the world", this time in reference to the state of Louisiana. Shreveport, Louisiana, Mar. 11, 2005

There is a baby boomer generation getting ready to retire. I'm pretty aware of that. I am one.
-- Dubya is a baby boomer generation, Louisville, Kentucky, Mar. 10, 2005


Thanks to Julien's List reader Mario, for finding this!


|